[MPlayer-users] Intel HD audio (azalia), alsa 1.0.8 and mplayer problem

Iakobos Triantafillou ewsforos at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 12:35:17 CET 2005

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>Hi,
>On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 10:55:24AM +0000, Iakobos Triantafillou wrote:
>

>>With -ao alsa:
>>
>>alsa-init: setup for 1/2 channel(s)
>>alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default
>>(stays there indefinately)
>>
>>With -ao oss:
>>
>>audio_setup: using '/dev/dsp' dsp device
>>audio_setup: using '/dev/mixer' mixer device
>>audio_setup: using 'pcm' mixer device
>>[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
>>resource busy
>>

>These two will be solved by apt-get remove --purge esd
>Or if you dislike the extremes, use killall esd. But the former is a
>better reaction towards esd IMHO.
>Or if you have /dev/dsp1 or in alsa hw:0,1 you can use those (see
>manpage for alsa and oss suboptions).
>

>>With -ao esd:
>>
>>[AO ESD] esd_open_sound failed: Success
>>

>I like that kind of error message...
>Ask the maintainer of ao_esd.c - oh, wait that is yet another of the
>MPlayer parts that do not have a maintainer...
>Now seriously, I had a quick look at the code and couldn't see anything
>obviously wrong...
>
>Greetings,
>Reimar Döffinger

Thanks for your insights Reimar :-)

The only problem is that when i use alsa standalone I don't have control
over the volume anywhere. For example in beep-media-player the volume
bar does not work, same in mplayer / and * simply don't work. Do you by
any chance have any idea about that as well? (only by alsa-mixer if I
lower the PC Speaker volume I have any control over it and this is not
very practical for most situations)

Thank you very much for your help. Really appreciated :-)

I.T.