[MPlayer-users] mplayer acting very slow with -mixer-channel, gmplayer is even worse

Sebastian sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Thu Feb 17 10:16:48 CET 2005

Hello!

I have a soundcard which doesn't have a mixer channel called PCM or
Master. It has an out for phones that I want to control. The mixer
channel is called 'Speaker 1" in alsamixer. So I can start mplayer with
-mixer-channel Speaker,1 and mplayer accepts it.

But while watching a video controlling volume with the 0 and 9 key not
only changes the volume, but also produces stuttering/slowdown in the
picture and volume changes happen annoyingly slow. In alsamixer volume
control works fast. In other apps like xmms it's fast, too.

Using gmplayer it becomes even worse. Right from the start audio/video
are out of sync. While audio runs at normal pace the video is slow
motion. After a few seconds I get the message that my computer is too
slow to play this, which is clearly not the case.

I suspect this is a problem in the code...

Everything of ALSA installed on my computer is of version 1.08. I use
kernel 2.6.10 but alsa support is disabled and the alsa-drivers 1.08 are
installed. mplayer is 1.0pre6.

Appreciate any help!

Sebastian