[MPlayer-users] cropdetect accuracy with mplayer-1.0pre6a

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Feb 18 20:46:51 CET 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:03:57 +0100
Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:

> In the past, I was really impressed with the accuracy of the
> cropdetect functionality.  But since I upgraded to 1.0pre6a, the
> detected area is too small.  That is, about 8 pixels of real video are
> cropped off around the detected area.
>
> Any idea why this change comes?

Because cropdetect is usually used for finding encoding parameters, and
most codecs need the video dimentions to be a multiple of 16.

You can turn it (almost completely) off by using "2" as the "round"
parameter eg"cropdetect=24:2".  Most codecs need the crop parameters to
be divisible by 2, so that is the minimum.  My patch originally allowed
you to select 1 as well (eg. for 4:4:4 sources) but Reimar overruled me,
and changed that.