[MPlayer-users] lavc-divx incompatibility

Ville Saari 113762 at vs.iki.fi
Sun Feb 20 01:27:38 CET 2005

If I try to play lavc encoded mpeg4 on windows media player using divx
codec for decoding, then every now and then the image shatters into
random block mess and stays like that until the next I-frame. Apparently
lavc and divx interpret the mpeg4 standard somewhat differently. Does
anyone know which one is wrong?

This has been true for every version of both codecs that I have tested
during the last two years or so. There is lot of variation in the
frequency of the artifact, but I'm not sure whether it is the codec
versions or the encoded content that is responsible for the difference.
Sometimes it happens only a few times during the whole movie and sometimes
every few seconds.

--
 Ville