[MPlayer-users] Recording RealAudio faster than "real time"? (And use from at.)

Adam Funk adam00f at ducksburg.com
Tue Feb 22 15:51:23 CET 2005

I sometimes record RealAudio streams using a command like this:

mplayer -ao pcm -aofile FOO.wav rtsp://URL/URL.ra

I've noticed that if I'm recording a 30-minute radio show, for
example, it takes 30 minutes for that command to run, although I think
the input is downloaded much faster than that.  Is it possible to make
mplayer download and save to WAV format in a shorter time?

Also, if I run this from an at job, even with the -quiet option, the
cache and other % output produces an enormous e-mail.  To prevent
this, I have to use this
mplayer -quiet -ao pcm -aofile FOO.wav rtsp://URL/URL.ra >/dev/null
which produces no output.  Is it possible to suppress only the
progress output?

Thanks,
Adam