[MPlayer-users] Re: RTC under Suse 9.2

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Fri Feb 25 16:59:42 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:52:01PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 January 2005 at 16:07, Tono Esteve wrote:
> > I've compiled and configured MPlayer 1.0pre6a to use Linux RTC, under
> > SuSE 9.1 it worked OK, but now I've installed SuSE 9.2 and the same
> > mplayer version fails with this message:
> > --- cut ---
> > Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Inappropriate ioctl
> > for device
> > Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system
> > startup scripts.
> > Using nanosleep() timing
> > --- end cut ---
> > max-user-freq has been configured.
> > cat report this:
> > cat /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
> > 1024
> >
> > The question is, How can I use RTC under SuSE 9.2?
> > Should I customize(patch/change) my kernel?
> > Is there a known workarround ?

SUSE 9.2 has CONFIG_HPET_TIMER set (or something like that, i don't remember
exactly) which changes the RTC API (or something like that, i don't understand
exactly ;-). This breaks the compatibility.

You can try to use a "kernel of the day" from the SUSE ftp-server (which may
have arbitrary disastrous side-effects :-) or just ignore the error. AFAICS
the upcoming SUSE 9.3 will have this config turned off again.

> This isn't a known problem, but it might not be MPlayer-related.

Yes, MPlayer is not to blame although for the future the new API should
probably considered (if there is a new API and not just a accidentally
breakage) since this config may become more common.

> What are the permissions on /dev/rtc?

Unfortunately it is not that easy, it is an "Inappropriate ioctl", not a
ENOPERM :-(

When reading the above, keep in mind that i am neither a kernel nor a mplayer
expert ;-)

HTH a bit,

   Stefan
--