[MPlayer-users] USB headset Fedora

Ivar Bratberg ivarbra at fys.uio.no
Fri Feb 25 20:07:29 CET 2005

Thank you for the answers.
First I tried to do like Phil suggested.
-I downloaded the alsa-driver.1.08
-I ran configure without any options
-make
-su
-make install
-cd MPlayer
logout as su
-make clean
-make
-su
-make install

but now when I tried
mplayer -ao help I got this list:

Available audio output drivers:
        mpegpes Mpeg-PES audio output
        oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
        null    Null audio output
        pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
        plugin  Plugin audio output

So it didn't find alsa when configuring mplayer
So I guess I have two possibilites:
1. To try to find out mplayer configure didn't find alsa
2. Use one of the listed drivers if possible to direct the sound to the
usb head phone

What is /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 ? Under /dev directory I can also see
names like sound, audio and audio1
When I tried
mplayer -ao  oss:/dev/dsp1 , or swapped dsp1 with audio, audio1 mixer or
sound it said:

Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, little endian signed int
AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/mixer: No access
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

?????
Ivar