[MPlayer-users] How to dub a video with mencoder?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 28 21:05:03 CET 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 08:07:17PM +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I have an MJPEG AVI video produced by my digital camera.  I would like to
> strip out the audio and replace it with an Ogg Vorbis soundtrack.  I tried
> the following command lines, but they didn't work; all I get is a video
> without sound.  Would be appreciative for any help...
>
> mencoder -ovc copy foo.avi -oac copy bar.ogg -o baz.avi
> mencoder -ovc copy foo.avi -oac copy -audiofile bar.ogg -o baz.avi

Vorbis audio in AVI is inherently impossible due to the limits of AVI.
You need to either reencode the audio to mp3 or something else that
works in AVI, or else use a different container (Matroska or OGM),
which would require muxing with a program other than mencoder since
mencoder only writes AVI or MPG output.

Rich