[MPlayer-users] snow/vorbis/nut?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jan 1 09:37:55 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 10:40:50PM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:56:48 -0500
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > we've looked up
> > mxf and it's the most horribly misdesigned container we've ever seen,
>
> I believe you've said that about practically every container format...
> every one except NUT, that is.

nope. :)

avi is usable, just has some limitations (no vfr) and high overhead.
mkv works, it's just overcomplicated, has some overhead, and wrong
timestamps.

the really bad containers are mov (massive bloat, unplayability
without complete file), ogm (huge overhead, no index, broken
timestamping, strong ties between codec and container), mpeg* (way too
much useless information, hard to write valid files, some ties between
codec and container). i forget all the details of this mxf or whatever
it's called, but i remember looking it over briefly and not even
wanting to read more, it was so bad...

rich