[MPlayer-users] strange sound problem with mpeg2 files

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Jan 7 15:35:06 CET 2005

Hi,
On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:56:56PM +0000, Georg Steffers wrote:
> i use MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 on a SuSE 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4) alsa v1.0.3.
> I discovered some strange audio problem while playing mpeg2 files. I
> wouldn't have notived if a didn't recode a DivX to mpeg2 to make an VCD
> from it.
> The DivX played normal, the same in xine and in mplayer. Then i made
> the mpeg2 using mkxvcd.sh. The resulting mpeg2 sound strange when
> played with mplayer. It is hard to explain...something like echos on
> with special frequencies...I am sorry i cannot describe better. But
> when played with xine the mpeg2 sounds the same as the DivX.

I think this is a problem with that gcc version (probably caused by the
fact that the mp3lib code does not care about C aliasing rules).
Try -afm ffmpeg, but it will be slower (you can add afm=ffmpeg, or
ac=ffmp3,ffmp2, to your config to always try these decoders first, the ','
at the end is important!).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger