[MPlayer-users] strange sound problem with mpeg2 files

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri Jan 7 16:13:11 CET 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 03:35:06PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:56:56PM +0000, Georg Steffers wrote:
> > i use MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 on a SuSE 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4) alsa v1.0.3.
> > I discovered some strange audio problem while playing mpeg2 files. I
> > wouldn't have notived if a didn't recode a DivX to mpeg2 to make an VCD
> > from it.
> > The DivX played normal, the same in xine and in mplayer. Then i made
> > the mpeg2 using mkxvcd.sh. The resulting mpeg2 sound strange when
> > played with mplayer. It is hard to explain...something like echos on
> > with special frequencies...I am sorry i cannot describe better. But
> > when played with xine the mpeg2 sounds the same as the DivX.
>
> I think this is a problem with that gcc version (probably caused by the
> fact that the mp3lib code does not care about C aliasing rules).
> Try -afm ffmpeg, but it will be slower (you can add afm=ffmpeg, or
> ac=ffmp3,ffmp2, to your config to always try these decoders first, the ','
> at the end is important!).

This is a problem with Suse's gcc and mp3lib. I think it's there since
Suse 9.0. Previous version of Suse didn't have the problem, but
I'm not 100% sure. By the way the problem appears only if you play mp2 audio.
With mp3 audio mp3lib works fine.
To solve the problem you can use ffmpeg or mad (-ac mad) if you have it.

Giacomo