[MPlayer-users] Trouble with radio audio streams encoded in WMA9 (WMAv3)

Anders Lind lists at iolife.dk
Mon Jan 10 00:15:39 CET 2005

Hi

Sorry, guess I slept a bit!

> > > That's because they all stream the same file, only the
> > > wmcontentbitrate=28000 at the end seems to tell WMP which stream in it
> > > to request and play.
> >
> > Could it be that the entire .asx-file is transmitted (via some library
> > call?) to the wma9dmod.dll and the dll then determines the right
> > options/settings. Or that the player have to specify some (extra)
> > options to wma9dmod.dll. What I mean is that the header of the .asx-file
> > is (I do not know if 'ASX Version = "3.0"' triggers anything in Windows
> > Media Player 9+ or not?):
>
> no, as I stated in my reply, the decoder has nothing, rien, nada to do
> with it! WMP interprets the "?wmcontentbitrate=40000" as "select a
> stream with a maximum bitrate of 40000". It then feeds the stream it
> receives to the decoder, but it doesn't have anything to do with the
> transport over the network, bandwidth selection etc.

Okay, understood :o)
My thoughts were with mp3 pro I guess, where a none capable player just
playes half of the bandwidth (if I remember the dayes when mp3 pro hit
the public.) So I thought because I do not have the insight it might be
intuitive that MS did the same or the like.

> > (doesn't matter whether or not I append '?wmcontentbitrate=300000' to
>
> MPlayer does not interpret/parse that part. And it should not. Unlike
> Microsoft our goal is not to write the most obfuscated player on earth
> (TM).

> > > Solution: Use latest CVS of MPlayer. And if the URL is of the type
> > > mms:// replace that by http://
> >
> > All the links are http:// but thanks for reminding!
>
> Yes, but reading properly clearly would help:
> Solution: Use latest CVS of MPlayer. <--- !!!

Here I slept. Sorry!

> Fixing this was a major operation and thus wasn't done directly
> before the release but after instead.

Thanks for clearing it up!
I'll be trying the cvs out, and the same for Xine and spread the word -
if I have succes when I test it.

Regards

Anders Lind