[MPlayer-users] How to select a substream in Windows Media 9 streaming?

Reimar =?UTF8?Q?D=F6ffinger?= Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Jan 11 12:25:27 CET 2005

Hi,
On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:22:51AM +0100, Peter Buchmann wrote:
> Reimar � wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:57:00AM +0100, Peter Buchmann wrote:
> >>Seems to me like
> >>'player -vid 3 -playlist mms://vipmms.itele.fr/cpi_itele'
> >>does the trick. output says its 288x216. -vid 4 is the smaller
> >>version and -vid 1 and -vid 2 dont work for me.
> >>with -vid you can choose the video substream.
> >

> >-playlist? That's weird, doesn't it work without? Anyway when you use
> >http:// instead of mms:// MPlayer (CVS version!) should automatically
> >choose the
> >streams that fit best...
> >I already explained that in a thread some days ago...
>
> $ mplayer mms://vipmms.itele.fr/cpi_itele
> works just fine, but its the small version.
>
> $ mplayer -vid 3 mms://vipmms.itele.fr/cpi_itele
> gives me the following output:

As I said in the other mail on this topic: mms:// is broken and will probably stay broken for quite a while.

> $ mplayer -vid 3 http://vipmms.itele.fr/cpi_itele
> works just fine.

You should not need to use -vid or -aid (this can actually cause it to hang as in the mms:// case as the servers do not always send the requested
streams), it will automatically select the highest bitrate one (or if you have set -bandwidth the highest one that fits).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger