[MPlayer-users] Pullup and ffmpeg glitches

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 18 21:11:15 CET 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:22:55PM -0800, RC wrote:
> Pullup doesn't work well with MPEG-2 streams, when decoded with
> -vfm ffmpeg (instead of libmpeg2).  In some places, I will see
> a few colored blocks that don't belong.  In other places, I'll see 60%
> of the screen covered with these blocks, sometimes for several frames in
> a row, and multiple times even in short files.

yes, this is because mplayer's buffer handling is very broken. :( it
happens because lavc skips redrawing blocks that are unchanged, and
libmpeg2 always redraws them. there are two possible fixes: either
disable direct rendering in pullup, i.e. remove get_image (but this
will make it much slower), or else insert an extra filter before
pullup to block direct rendering (but this will mess up mixed
hard/soft telecine since most filters don't pass the soft telecine
flags along). or as a third option, the unchanged-block-skipping in
the lavc decoder module could be removed, since mplayer's buffer
system is really too broken to handle it properly, and it probably
does not make significant differences to speed anyway.

> If you are wondering, I can't use libmpeg2 because (the new 0.4x
> version) creates unplayable files when encoding to MPEG-1/2 in AVI (as
> I've reported previously).

always works for me. have you submitted a proper bug report?

rich