[MPlayer-users] Re: MPEG 2 Multichannel Code for mplayer

Tom Glanville thomas.glanville at kodak.com
Thu Jan 20 00:06:27 CET 2005

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik <at> rangers.eu.org> writes:

> On Wednesday, 19 January 2005 at 19:43, Tom Glanville wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > There is a audio format called MPEG2 Multichannel. It is not AC3. It is
not
> > AAC. It is used in SVCDs and described in the MPEG2 spec.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any CODECs out there that will work with mplayer to
> > playback an MPEG2 Multichannel audio file (file.mp2) in surround sound?
> >
> > I can't find any. Mplayer seems to play a multichannel mpeg2 audio file in
> > stereo as it is.
>
> You did try -channels N, didn't you? Please also post mplayer -v file.mpeg
> output. Without that, there isn't much we can do.
>
> R.

Dominik:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using the -channels 6.  It seems mplayer
thinks this is a 2 channel source. Although, it is a MPEG Multichannel file
which should be backward compatible to a MPEG1-layer2 audio file. Which is why
I am guessing there is confusion for mplayer.

I will post the log you requested soon.

Tom