[MPlayer-users] [BUG - Nailed] Mencoder + XviD => not playable in Windows

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jan 20 23:55:52 CET 2005

Hi,
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 03:03:25PM +0100, hep at libero.it wrote:
[...]
> So it seems that the default Windows avi-splitter filter can't handle the headers of
> XviD mencoder-encoded files because those headers contain a string with LOCALE
> information. In this picture you can see  (in an hex-editor) the header of a
> XviD file

actually it is just some random crap, has nothing to do with locale...

[...]
> So it can't be so difficult to patch this "bug" (I don't know if it's in XviD or
> in Mencoder).

No, it's in windows ;-). It seems the avi-splitter tries to interpret
even parts of the BITMAPINFOHEADER structure that are not needed/make no
sense with this format (like size of palette).
I made MPlayer set all these to 0, please try latest CVS.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger