[MPlayer-users] Problem with streaming realmedia files

Malte Horst Arthur Skoruppa malte at countnumber.de
Sat Jan 22 15:03:38 CET 2005

Well, RealPlayer for sure does work for me for the file from 1998, so it
must be there.
In any case, this very command works flawlessly for me:
realplay pnm://ravi.br-online.de/ravi/alpha/centauri/v/980927.rm

But it seems like this file can't be accessed with rtsp, but only with
pnm, which is what doesn't work with mplayer.
The newer files (like the one you linked below) can be accessed with
both rtsp and pnm, so one can play them through rtsp, which seems to
work with mplayer.

/So the central question is, does mplayer work with pnm at all? And if
yes, what's that error I posted below?/

Until the problem is solved, I'm going to try with xine-ui in the
meantime. What I'd like to do is to save those files on my hard drive,
(mplayer -dumpstream), but I heard that xine-ui won't do that if the
stream forbids it (which shows the difference in the philosophy behind
mplayer and xine... which in turn is a reason to prefer mplayer, in my
opinion; I just hate it when programs try to control me, instead of me
controlling them... which is one of the many reasons for me using Linux
and not Windows).

Awaiting your answers eagerly ;-)

Malte