[MPlayer-users] Audio encoding speed?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sun Jan 23 18:10:11 CET 2005

Hello!

I noticed that encoding mpeg2 TS streams to divx with

  mencoder -ni -cache 4096 in.vdr -o out.avi \
    -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:mbd=0:vpass=1 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=0:vbr=0:aq=0

takes about four times longer than with

  mencoder -ni -cache 4096 in.vdr -o out.avi \
    -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:mbd=0:vpass=1 \
    -oac copy

This would mean that audio encoding takes about three times longer than
video encoding.  I alway thought that encoding video is much more
CPU-intensive than encoding audio.  How comes that audio encoding
is such a CPU-hog?  How can I speed this up?

--
No software patents!
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --