[MPlayer-users] How to create vob/mpeg files with burnt in subtitles?

B Wooster bwooster47 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 20:30:00 CET 2005

I am not sure if mplayer can do this - but if anyone knows how to
create an output vob/mpg file from a DVD chapter, that includes the
subtitles burned in the video, please let me know.

I am trying to extract a few chapters from the DVD, and the -chapter
option of mplayer works fine.
I can also -dumpstream, to get the mpg file - Program Stream, which I
can then feed into dvdauthor, etc for creating another DVD.

But I also need to burn the subtitles in the image - mplayer can play
the subtitles over the video (-sid 0), am looking for steps to execute
so I can capture the rendered video.

I found some references on the web on creating separate subtitle files, but
haven't yet found scripts that can render subtitles into a mpeg PS output.
[dvd-rip seems to suggest it can do it, but it failed when I tried it, so am
looking for basic command line scripts, and I think mplayer or transcode
can do this, just not a clue on where to start!]

Any help appreciated (also if some other tools like transcode can do
this, let me know that also).