[MPlayer-users] Audio encoding speed?

Jack lt at speakeasy.net
Wed Jan 26 10:12:13 CET 2005

Josef Wolf wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 12:16:08PM -0500, Piszcz, Justin Michael wrote:
>

>>mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -ao pcm file.mpg
>>the output will be called audiodump.wav
>>

>Ah, OK.  This gives me a file of 1.2GB length.  Strange, the original
>video+audio is only 2.6GB (The movie is about 1:45 length).

Because this is the uncompressed version.

>So here are the results:
>
>  mencoder -ni -cache 4096 in.vdr -o out.avi \
>    -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:mbd=0:vpass=1 \
>    -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=0:vbr=0:aq=0             # about 5 hours

q=0 is pointless, because vbr=0 sets it to CBR mode.

>  lame -V 0 audiodump.wav foo.mp3                    # 30 minutes
>
>Sum: 1:37 hours
>---------------
>
>So obviously, about 3.5 hours are lost somewhere.  Any ideas what I can
>do next to find the cause why the 3.5 hours are lost?

aq=0.

>PS: I can not find an equivalent to the aq=0 option in lame's options.
>    What does this aq=0 mean?

It is equal to -q 0 on the lame command line.

>BTW: I noticed that the dumped mp2 file is even shorter than the
>     resulting mp3 file (154MB vs. 166MB).  So I wondered whether it is
>     really worth to reencode the audio.

No, no it isn't worth it.  Reencoding like this would be totally
pointless, and just lose more quality.  If you gain some space by
reencoding to VBR or to a lower bitrate, that would be worth it.  The
rest of that discussion really belongs on a lame list, I suppose.

... your lame options are totally inconsistent.  Are you trying to use
VBR or CBR?  You keep switching.

The equivalent lame command line to your -lameopts q=0:vbr=0:aq=0 would
be lame -q 0  (cbr is default, and q=0 does nothing, as I pointed out
above)

-jack