[MPlayer-users] bug: subtitles incorrectly displayed w

Stephen Stocker lpar at par1.net
Sat Jan 29 05:22:51 CET 2005

Loren Merritt wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Stephen Stocker wrote:
>> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>>
>>> uhg, are people still using those horrible bitmap fonts? imo we should
>>> remove support for them and always use  type/truetype fonts...
>>
>> I still use them, for basic OSD. It makes little sense to me to add
>> yet more bloat just for the sake of displaying the time and total time
>> of a video, IMO. (At least I think those fonts are what's used for this
>> purpose?)
>
>IMHO, TTF are worthwhile even for OSD, because they are constant size,
>while bitmap fonts scale depending on the video resolution.
>
>--Loren Merritt

  You're right. Not sure what I was thinking of, but not TrueType. I
  hadn't even *used* TrueType before.

  Wherever my brain was when I posted the above, these are a
  considerable improvement over bitmap fonts, especially if (like me),
  you view a lot of low bandwidth streaming stuff. On more than one
  occasion, I ended up with the total time display somewhere off-screen.

  Anyway, please ignore my earlier post. Some days are like this. :)

  Steve