[MPlayer-users] playing files from password required ftp sites?

Jason Grindlay aileronnoir at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 03:27:50 CET 2005

--- Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:

<snip>

ftp://username:password@ftp.tripod.com/day36-240x135-mpeg4.mov
> > MPlayer 1.0pre3-RPM-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer
> Team
>
> This is an ancient version of MPlayer. Please
> upgrade to 1.0pre6.
Sorry I forgot to mention, I did a quick test with the
latest version of mplayer and I had the exact same
result.

<snip>

> I see it's using passive mode. Perhapse the two
> sites are
> unreachable using passive mode and will only work
> using
> PORT command. Have you tried using a regular ftp
> client
> to see which way it is?

I'm not much of a ftp whiz,  but here is my log from
getting it via ftp.
ftp> get day36-240x135-mpeg4.mov
day36-240x135-mpeg4.mov
227 Entering Passive Mode (209,202,240,80,156,158)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for
'day36-240x135-mpeg4.mov'.
226 Transfer complete.  (6709839 bytes sent.)
6709839 bytes received in 61.4 secs (1.1e+02
Kbytes/sec)

As far as I read that it's using passive mode correct?

Thanks for the quick response btw.

p.s.  I'm also open to other ways of putting this
command together or even other programs.  The only
requirement is that it can login to a ftp server,
download the file and split it into tga's (I've also
tried with mencoder but the result was the same)

Thanks
Jason