[MPlayer-users] alsa-space? xrun?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Jul 3 11:58:09 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 05:20:00PM -0700, Pandora wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > If the problem is the same as similar ones I heard, it actually probably
> > is using dmix that sucks.
>
> Avoiding dmix is what I said sucks.  dmix may suck I guess, but compared
> to the alternative it's pretty nice.  How else do we transparently mix
> sounds on demand?

Get a capable soundcard? Anyway the real problem is that dmix seems to
say to MPlayer "hey, I support any sample rate you through at me", but
in reality plays the all with 48kHz. If you play a 32kHz audio with
48kHz you of course get the problem that your soundcard will run out of
data very fast...
General announcement: We are still looking for a maintainer for
ao_alsa.c, the code is despite my best efforts still complete crap.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger