[MPlayer-users] mplayer, xine, vlc crash on me on every 2nd or 3rd DVD

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Sun Jul 3 21:33:06 CEST 2005

One out of 2 or 3 DVDs cannot be watched until the end, and crashes
apparently due to a CRC checksum failure usually in the 2nd half of the
DVD. I thought this was fixed by disabling DMA on the CDROM drive (that
was the fix that was needed to be able to load Knoppix on this laptop),
but i tried mplayer, xine, and vlc w/ and w/o DMA when it crashed
yesterday watching a relatively new DVD from blockbuster, and all 6 of
them crashed in the same place. It played right off in Windows, a switch
i frequently have to do for DVDs.

Perhaps it's small scratch on the DVD, which is played over successfully
by players on Windows by ignoring the error. I really don't know whether
it's my CD/DVD-ROM driver, DMA, or non-robust Linux video viewers.

Perhaps i need to upgrade from FC3 to FC4: i think i should be able to
keep my data w/o having to back it up onto CDs by saying upgrade while
doing FC4 install. I guess if i built a debugging version of mplayer or
xine, i'd be able to see where they crash, but i still might not know if
it's a driver failure, or a scratch on the DVD. I wish i had the time to
try that out, then at least i would know whether a player-based fix is
possible: such as ignore the error, and keep playing, like Windows
players do (if they get any failures, that is).

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Reshat.