[MPlayer-users] General DVD Questions

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Jul 7 21:13:41 CEST 2005

Alexander Roalter wrote:

> Navigation in DVD menus seems not to be an issue with mplayer, it's
> simply not there and there is no real effort behind to get it done.
>
> I (and I assume every other mplayer user) play the tracks directly via
> mplayer dvd://1, mplayer dvd://2 and so on. Most DVDs have the main
> feature at number 1, but others don't so there's always some fiddling
> around until the real movie is found. I for my part am keeping a
> database like playlist, where the main feature (together with other
> infos as format, audio- and subtitle tracks) are stored.

I just list the tracks via lsdvd, sort by playtime, and then play the
longest track.  If I'm feeling really fancy, I have a (x)dialog script
that will create menus showing the longest 6 or so tracks, then show the
audio tracks on the video you selected, and then offer the option of
showing subtitles.

So simple my 7 year old can do it.  :-)