[MPlayer-users] recommendation re streaming video

Sebastian Krämer spambouncer at skraemer.de
Fri Jul 8 22:46:16 CEST 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 12:53, Heitzso wrote:

> What is the current best-guess-codec to stream video
> over the internet?  And recommended transcoding tool
> or transcode options?

If you use MPlayer for playback and use a web- or ftp server, you wouldn't
need a special streaming format.
For general purpose streaming I'd suggest an icecast2 server and ogg theora
video format.

I haven't had success compiling ffmpeg2theora myself the last time I tried
(few months ago), but from IRC I got a binary that worked very well.
If you're interested, I could send it to you. Although I guess you should
better look for a more recent version. It's surely available somewhere in the
net.

Good luck!

Sebastian