[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Crop before deinterlacing OK?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jul 11 04:17:41 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 07:14:26PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:54:52 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > If it's true interlaced, they have completely random effects..
> > pullup is harmless on progressive content tho.
>
> Oh?  Is this only true with pullup, or will filters like detc also do
> "random" things when they can't find a 3:2 pattern to latch-on to?  I've
> certainly never been able to see any artifacts when capturing video
> with detc (and I've captured a LOT).

detc will 'probably' pass all fields thru unmodified when it doesn't
see any telecine pattern, but if there are a few fields with very low
motion, it could mistakenly think it's the result of telecine and try
to process the pattern, resulting in highly broken output. the only
inverse telecine filter 'safe' to be used on interlaced video content
is filmdint, and even that is a very bad idea. choose the right
filters for your content!!

rich