[MPlayer-users] mplayer, xine, vlc crash on me on every 2nd or 3rd DVD

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Mon Jul 11 06:00:47 CEST 2005

RC wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:33:06 -0500
>Reshat Sabiq <sabiq at csociety.org> wrote:
>

>>Perhaps it's small scratch on the DVD, which is played over
>>successfully by players on Windows by ignoring the error. I really
>>don't know whether it's my CD/DVD-ROM driver, DMA, or non-robust
>>Linux video viewers.
>>

>It's probably the Linux DVD-ROM drivers (I had a vaguely similar
>experience). Do you get any syslog/dmesg errors about it?

Strangely, it hasn't crashed on me since i sent this message. I guess i
was overly pessimistic last weekend. It probably crashes on one out of
about 8 DVDs, maybe even 10. I remember seeing CRC checksum errors on
previous crashes. We'll try to get an actual print-out from dmesg next time.
Also, i removed ksCD from my gnome panel right after i started this
thread. Perhaps that helps.

P.S. However, i removed it by playing with gnome-panel files manually
(cause it wasn't removable from the UI context menus), and now it looks
like i can't save any KDE program in current setup when i log out, and
have it come back after reboot: i get an error about klauncher failing
to start. I guess i'll ask about fixinf gnome-panel on a fedora list.

Thanks.