[MPlayer-users] Creating MPEG1 files suitable for MS WindowsEncoder.

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:18:07 CEST 2005

On 7/8/05, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at email.it> wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> >
> >The resulting mpeg1 file is then readable in windows media encoder.
> >One problem is that only Windows 2003 supports mpeg1 as input to
> >windows media encoder. Windows XP does not, so the next challenge is
> >to do the same, but instead get mencoder to create a .wmv file that
> >windows media encoder likes, or at least some other format that
> >Windows XP media encoder can handle.
> >
> >James
> >
> uhm, nice to know, but what does the os have to do with media encoder,
> provided that dshow is the same?

I don't know really why there is a difference. I can play the mpeg1 on
both XP and 2003, but Windows media encoder only works with mpeg1 when
it is installed on 2003.
Start->Control Panel->Sound and Audio Devices->Hardware->Video
devices->Properties->Properties->Video Compress Codecs.
This lists the Video compression codecs installed.
Windows 2003 comes with mpeg1 listed, Windows XP does not list mpeg1.
I don't know how to add more items to that list. If we could add
ffmpeg/avcodec to the windows Video compression codecs list and have
them work with Windows media encoder, then compatibility would be a
lot better.