[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Question on converting to DivX4...

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Mon Jul 11 18:28:29 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 11. Juli 2005 05:33 schrieb RC:

> > no. tfields loses no information, pp=lb loses up to half the
> > information,
>
> Okay, I'm listening.  How does pp=lb lose half the information?

By blending horizontal lines into each other?

> It
> uses all the lines in both two fields to generate one frame, so all the
> information is still there.

Just take a test video consisting of alternating black and white
horizontal lines. Without pp=lb you will see horizontal lines, with pp=lb
you will see a solid grey colour. => Information is lost.

> Objects that should look still, seem rather shaky and unstable.
> In particular, things like the bars across the lower part of the screen
> on cable news channels look absolutely awful with tfields.  The edges
> all around it are obviously flickering, noisy, etc.  Watching the same
> image live on TV, those kinds of things look _rock solid_, and very
> clear.

Hard contrasts cause flicker on TV, too. The edges of those bars across
the lower part of the screen very often flicker unless you are using a
100Hz TV.

Regards,
  Matthias