[MPlayer-users] Creating mp4 video with AAC audio

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 06:40:05 CEST 2005

On Jul 11, 2005, at 23.20, zikzak at tele2.fr wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:23:37 -0500
> Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 11, 2005, at 12.26, zikzak at tele2.fr wrote:
>>

>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I would like to create a specific type of video with mencoder, can
>>> you help me please ?
>>>
>> Do you mean the container, or the codec?
>>

>>> The following lines are the output of the type of videoI format I
>>> need :
>>>
>>> Playing mp4sample_movie.mp4.
>>> ISO: Unknown File Type Major Brand: MSNV
>>> QuickTime/MOV file format detected.
>>>
>> MEncoder cannot create QuickTime files. AVI isn't quite as good, but
>> you can use other tools to create OGM and Matroska files, both of
>> which are better.
>>
>>> --------------
>>> MOV track #0: 298 chunks, 2228 samples
>>> MOV: Found MPEG4 movie Elementary Stream Descriptor atom (67)!
>>>
>> MEncoder can do MPEG-4 however. LAVC has an MPEG-4 output mode.
>>
>>> Image size: 240 x 176 (24 bpp)
>>> Display size: 240 x 176
>>> Fourcc: mp4v  Codec: ''
>>> --------------
>>> MOV track #1: 339 chunks, 3198 samples
>>> Audio bits: 16  chans: 2  rate: 44100
>>> MOV: Found MPEG4 audio Elementary Stream Descriptor atom (39)!
>>> Fourcc: mp4a
>>>
>> For MPEG-4 Audio (Also known as AAC) you need FAAC/FAAD. It's a free
>> library for AAC decoding and I believe encoding. I'm not sure if
>> MEncoder will output to AAC, but you can always encode the audio
>> separately then mux it in later. I know that muxing with Matroska is
>> no sweat.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I thought that mencoder was working like ffmpeg, currently I use
> ffmpeg
> to create the same format of file (codec relevant).
MEncoder does work using ffmpeg.
> My question was about a hardware wich is only able to play this codec,
> it is a player for an handhld device (GBA, NDS) called Play-Yan, I
> have
> no other choice but to use Quicktime and AAC codecs.
AAC isn't too much of a problem. MPEG-4 isn't either. FAAC/FAAD will
take care of your AAC problems. Just install the libraries, and then
compile MPlayer. MPEG-4 is a part of FFMPEG and LAVC, both of which
MEncoder/MPlayer takes care of. The biggest problem is the QuickTime
container. QuickTime is proprietary technology held by Apple, as far
as I'm aware. If you have a Windows or a Mac OS X you could pay $30
USD (might be $39 USD, not too sure) for QuickTime Pro, which will
have all of those encoding options, as well as the ability to use the
QuickTime container.

Good luck!