[MPlayer-users] Vbitrate not responding on lavc encoding

cothrige cothrige at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 13 15:04:51 CEST 2005

* Rich Felker (dalias at aerifal.cx) wrote:

> 24000/1001. 23.976 is incorrect.

Thanks for the heads up.  I did not realize this.

> if the file is smaller than the requested size, it simply means lavc
> could not use the requested number of bits within the constraints you
> specified. perhaps lower the minimum quantizer to 1. also you really
> should always use 2pass mode. 1pass will give very low quality.

But, why would a file which yesterday could be encoded at a vbitrate
of 2200 today only be able to be encoded at 900?  Everything is
identical, including the command line flags and the original source.
Using a dvd which can be encoded with "-ovc copy" at 5400 I can only
get 900 with lavc.  That can't be right.  And certainly I should be
getting a different result with such diverse vbitrate settings as 1800
and 16000, and yet the final result is virtually identical, both in
quality and size.

Yes, I do agree about 2pass.  It much improves the results.  But, I
did not use it for these tests in order to gain some speed as I was
doing several encodes in a row.  But, as things stand right now I
cannot use mencoder to get a useable final product at all and so
basic quality is not a big issue.  A file at 900 vbitrate, whether at
1pass or 2pass, is not good enough for me to want to keep
unfortunately.

Many thanks,

Patrick