[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Question on converting to DivX4...

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Jul 13 15:15:27 CEST 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:08:51 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> ok, you can compute the amount if you like.. i've been too lazy to do
> it so far, but if you like i can try...

I would be interested to know, but I base my decision on what looks
best, not on how close to mathematically perfect it actually is.

> scale=:240 loses more than half the information with any scaler except
> sinc.

Okay, even with -sws 8, pp=lb is still clearly better.

> see, when you blend 2 fields together, the information lost is not
> the details of the actual fields (altho some of that is lost too),
> but rather which information goes with which field. you've reduced
> 60fps to 30fps in an essentially irreparable way..

Well, I never claimed it could be easily reversed.  Are there any
deinterlacers (other than tfields) that can be easily reversed?  I
doubt it.