[MPlayer-users] Substitle issue with a few DVDs

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Mon Jul 18 10:47:12 CEST 2005

Ioan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> For a few DVDs (only a *few* of them), I have a
> problem with mplayer's subtitles: subtitles will show
> up for 1 or 2 sentences, no subtitles for a few
> minutes, subtitles again for 1 or 2 sentence, no
> subtitles for a few minutes, etc ...
>
> Does anybody had this issue before? It happens for
> example with the movie "Coach Carter". I tried w/ VLC
> and subtitles are correctly output.
>
> I downloaded the latest MPlayer and installed it on
> Ubuntu.
>
> Any help highly appreciated
>
> Thank you
>
> Ioan
>
> -------------------------------------
> Linux Rocks
> http://www.linux123.org
Looks like this happens more often than I thought. I have this problem
with the Indiana Jones and Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs. Dumping them
on Disk and playing them from there with the correct sid does the trick
for me, for others the version directly from DVD with using -vobsubid
instead of -slang or -sid works, but not for my Star Wars DVDs. I guess
something still has to be done here.

So my suggestions:
* First make sure, you have the right subtitle selected (I guess you do,
since the correct subtitles appear, although only briefly)
* try the same subtitle-id (look into it from the output of the previous
start) with the -vobsubid command instead of -sid
* if this does not work, dump the DVD and play the same sid (this time
-sid should work) from the dumped stream.

hth,
Alex