[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Crop before deinterlacing OK? NOSPAM

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 19 02:31:21 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:49:08 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> > You COULD capture interlaced (or with tfields) and convert the file
> > later, but surely that's more hassle than most people would be
> > willing to go through.
>
> Hey, it's not easy to encode video.

Yeah, but you don't (strictly) need to.  A few duplicated/skipped
frames is acceptable for everyone except crazy videophiles.

The very slight jumpiness you may from skip/dupes is significantly less
than I get from MPlayer when doing ivtc on-the-fly (to watch interlaced
TV captures), so, lesser of two evils.

And the more human intervention encoding requires, the more expensive
it is.  For me (and I believe many others) good quality with no effort
is preferable to very good quality with lots of time-consuming labor.
I'd rather just be wasting a few extra bits.