[MPlayer-users] re-install without recompiling?

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 08:37:46 CEST 2005

On Jul 22, 2005, at 00.23, Mike Hodson wrote:

> Hello there. I was wondering, as I keep historical versions of mplayer
> around just incase something breaks in newer releases/cvs, if there
> was a way to rerun the install script, -without- a manditory rm -f /
> recompile session?
Uhm, well, I think any version you eventually install would have to
be compiled, but if I understand, you just want to keep and older
version of MPlayer while testing out a new one.

> Its not like anything has changed at all in terms of whats compiled.
> all i want is to reinstall the already-compiled binaries to where they
> need to be.
An easier way to do this would be to have versions install to
different paths. Have one install to /usr/(etc) and the other install
to /(etc) and just rename the binaries. I mean, unless you plan to
keep huge libraries of binaries sitting around like a collection of
old magazines, that should do the trick for you. Works well enough
for what it sounds like you want to do.

> is this possible?
In a way, I'm sure it is. Though this is more of a general Linux
question, rather than an MPlayer specific question.