[MPlayer-users] Re: Crop before deinterlacing OK?

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Sat Jul 23 10:15:36 CEST 2005

Am Samstag, 23. Juli 2005 02:58 schrieb RC:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:35:53 +0200
>
> Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:
> > What about those standard deinterlacers? I think about kerndeint or
> > pp=md. Motion would probably not be as smooth as with an inverse
> > telecine filter but would it be scceptable for a normal-quality TV
> > recording?
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying here.
>
> If you mean to deinterlace material with kerndeint and not use detc/
> ivtc/pullup to reverse the telecine,

exactly

> it will look quite bad.

Too bad.

> > How does it look like? I could imagine that those CNN live tickers
> > would show some unsteady motion if frames were duplicates. But does
> > it matter for movies?
>
> It matters, but it's not as bad as some are making it sound.
> Slightly jumpy, but so little that nobody but videophiles will notice.

> Just to be clear, make sure you aren't just using detc/ivtc (or just
> a deinterlacer). The inverse telecine filter should be followed by a
> deinterlacer (except with filmdint, which I wouldn't recomend).

To put it in a nutshell: ivtc together with -ofps=~30 works for any input
but sometimes (when the input originally was 24fps) produces slightly
jumpy output. But I would need an deinterlacer afterwards for the "daily
soap opera" case? Is this corerct? If so I will provide this as a fall
back profile in case the user does not expect perfect quality and does
not want to think about the right deinterlacer/inverse telecine filter.

Regards,
  Matthias