[MPlayer-users] [Was: (no subject)] Newbie question ANSWERED!

Andrew A. Gill superluser at frontiernet.net
Sun Jul 24 00:51:03 CEST 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Roger Andreassen wrote:

> But, every two minutes or so I notice a very noticeable picture stutter with
> sound drops. I'm looking at the 23.976 fps here and wonder if there's a
> switch I oughta put in encode2mpeg, or should I use pre-processing?

I says to myself ``That sounds like a pulldown error, but why
would he use pulldown on 29.971 fps?''  Ahhh, twenty-THREE...

try -vfr 1 -p

This will pulldown the video.  This is also known as telecine,
transcode, or ``Bananarama tape with no case.''  The last phrase
is rare, and its etymology obscure.

Executive summary--it converts the framerate to the appropriate
framerate.  You can find out more here:

<http://www.zerocut.com/tech/pulldown.html>

Though encode2mpeg is a frontend to MPlayer (and for that
reason, I'm not offended), I'll bet they have a help section
that's more appropriate than this list.

--
|Andrew A. Gill                       |I posted to Silent-Tristero and|
|<superluser at frontiernet.net>         |all I got was this stupid sig! |
|Yet: <http://www.needsfoodbadly.com>                 Temporary sig: --

We really scored big on that one, didn't we buddy?