[MPlayer-users] best format to grab dv

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Sun Jul 24 23:51:59 CEST 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Heitzso wrote:

> I believe raw is considered slightly better because it has
> not already compressed beyond what DV defines.

	The DV data is identical.  The 'raw' vs. 'dv1' (or dv2) is the
	container format and not to any form of compression.

	raw has less overhead (fixed 120000 byte blocks for NTSC, 144000 for
	PAL) but there is no difference in the video or audio bits.

	raw is more convenient since seeking is simply a matter of multiplying
	the record size by the number of frames.  Seeking in 'avi' files is
	less straigtformward and there's the overhead of the indexes and so on.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz