[MPlayer-users] mpeg files playback limitation

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jul 28 01:47:26 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:00:45PM -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> I have noticed a problem with the mpeg decoder

Has nothing at all to do with the decoder.

> if I do this...
>
> wget http://some.site.com/path/to/file.mpeg &
>
> wait a second so that part of the file is downloaded then I do
>
> mplayer -cache 2048 file.mpeg
>

> mplayer will only play the bytes of the file that it knew about when it
> started.
>
> So if 500K of the file was downloaded and mplayer is started, but the file is
> 2MB, it will only play 500K even if more than 500K has been downloaded

If you had waited until it had downloaded a bit more than the cache size
(maybe 2.5 MB) it would have worked. When the cache hits the end of the
file it will stop. I don't think anything else makes a lot of sense.

> It happens with mp3 and mpeg files, but works fine with avi, quicktime and
> other formats.

It might have something to do with the demuxer, but I can't really
imagine that...
Can you provide some details on how you tested that? Because I am quite
certain I got it to work with a Shoutcast stream (i.e. MP3) once.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger