[MPlayer-users] Consistent mencoder AV Sync problems

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jun 1 05:08:16 CEST 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 11:47:38PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> * Rich Felker (dalias at aerifal.cx) wrote:
> > On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:26:10PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> >
> > If you're using pp=lb, a-v desync is probably the least of your
> > problems... :)
> >
> > Rich
>
> Is it really as bad as that?  To be honest, of the deinterlacers which I
> tested, including lb, md, ci, li, and fd, most made things much worse
> and md did nothing at all.  I can't recall why I selected this one,
> but can at least live with the result.  I think I used fd for while
> too and thought it was okay.  Is there a better way?

Almost all content on DVDs is telecined, not interlaced, so
deinterlacing is rarely correct. Even if it is, pp=md or kerndeint is
your best bet usually. ci and li are completely useless, and lb, l5,
and fd all produce ghosting artifacts. I wrote a document on it a long
time ago and submitted it to mplayer-docs list, detailing why all the
deinterlacers suck... dunno what happened to it. :)

Rich