[MPlayer-users] dvd movie trailers -> mpeg

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 10:06:26 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 6/5/05, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2005, at 21.08, alvin.mpeg at ns.linux-1u.net wrote:
>

> > hi ya mpeg'erz
> We preferred to be called MPlayer-users or MPlayer enthusiasts ;)
> >
> > slightly offtopic..
> Hardly.
> >
> > - i know mplayer can play the dvd .. but..
> >
> >   what is the best or easiest way to create an mpeg out
> >   of the movie trailors included on the DVD we bought
> Well, not hard. Just figure out what title and chapter the trailers
> you want to rip are on. That can be done with most DVD playing
> applications, especially those with Menu support (which MPlayer sadly
> does not have)
> >
> >     - i'm hoping memencode or something with some options
> >     will create the mpeg1 or mpeg4 (my preferred format)
> Not a problem
> mencoder dvd://(title here) -chapter (start chapter)-(end chapter. If
> just one chapter, same numbers) -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=(bitrate here)
>
> That'll be MPEG-4 in an AVI container. If you want them in an MPEG-1
> container, you'll have to read the documentation, I'm not too up on
> that one. If you want MPEG-4 in an MPEG-4 container, though, look
> into the ffmpeg code, I think they have that in their own code.

The doc about transcoding is here http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/mencoder.html

Please add to the command line given by Kichigai Mentat the
recommended options that are listed on that doc, otherwise you'll not
get a good bit/quality trade off [but your encode will be so fast you
won't have time to brew some coffee :-) ].

Guillaume
--
I should have invented the tape recorder,
that way people would have more quotes of