[MPlayer-users] DVD Menu Support

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Wed Jun 8 23:34:39 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 10:33 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> Only if you want the slowest, most bloated player possible.. Try Xine
> or vlc. I think both support DVD menus just fine and they're usably
> fast, although still considerably slower than MPlayer.

I agree, right now Gstreamer is much slower.  But I think the Gstreamer
developers are pretty realistic about the performance realities, and
they know where optimization work needs to be done.

You'll also note I didn't suggest he use Gstreamer, but to keep his eye
on the project.  There's been some very impressive progress in making it
suck less.

Clearly I don't know as much about MPlayer as you do, but I keep reading
on these lists things like "MPlayer's architecture doesn't allow that."
I think it's good that the developers are realistic about what MPlayer
can and can't do.  But this also leads me to believe that MPlayer
development will eventually approach an impasse.  G2 was supposed to be
the solution to world hunger, and there was much excitement about it
when it was first announced, but there's not been much progress on that
front (that I've heard about).

So from where I stand, Gstreamer is looking very promising.  There is
much work to be done yet, but that work is happening, and there is a
sense of energy that is important for a project like that.  I think it's
worth getting excited about.  In the mean time, I will continue to use,
hack on, and be happy with mplayer.  But I'm not going to discount
Gstreamer because right now it's slower.

Cheers,
Jason.