[MPlayer-users] Re: (help) mencoder fails: FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 13 17:03:49 CEST 2005

Jeff Clagg wrote:

> Apparently, the answer to your question is that you need to run a 1st
> pass before you can run a 2nd pass.

Hi, Jeff.  I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused.  I got this mplayer command
line from an iAudio forum and the poster said thats all you need to convert
a DVD to the format the X5 can handle (which is XVID).

To quote him:

"LINUX (movies never stop or freeze with these settings, guess its
vbitrate:100 and fps:14.985 which relievs the X5 cpu):

mencoder IN.avi -o OUT.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=2:cbr:br=96:vol=0
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=100:vhq:vpass=2 -ffourcc XVID -vf
scale=160:128 -ofps 14.985"

Is that just wrong or am I missing some other info (maybe in another post)?

Thank you for the help,
-- C

http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-lavc-encoding-options