[MPlayer-users] Strange Subtitle Problem (Star Wars DVD)

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Fri Jun 17 11:00:51 CEST 2005

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 09:21:18PM +0000, Imi theos wrote:
>
>>I still get only the (sid 0) subtitle. Either i use -sid or change while
>>viewing with j, i get only the first or
>>nothing.
>

> With the sample you uploaded all sids 0 to 15 work for me. Though with
> some it reports some errors in the beginning and shows them only after
> ca. 10 seconds.
Unfortunately the sample is too short.
I experimented a bit last night with it. sid 0 and 1 are the english
ones, though differing a bit in font face (1 is slightly thinner, god
knows why).

The IFO-Entries are completely different though and list only sid 0 to 7.

Now if I wanted the subtitles always on anything would be fine now, but
strangely enough no marker of the type 0x00 (FORCES SUBTITLES ON) appear
(they still do in other DVDs, like the Lord of the Rings DVDs for the
elfish speech or for location names in the James Bond movies, where the
debug code I inserted is clearly printed out, type 0x00 enountered).

No such thing happens for the Star Wars DVDs, so there is either
something wrong with the reader of the subtitle stream (assuming the
flags are directly coded into the stream) or there is another subtitle
stream I did not yet find.

No other control types (i.e. > 0x06 IIRC) occur, so it should not be
another unused flag.

I'll test out the snippet I made (which should have some force subtitle
flags in it) to find if there are other subtitles in it.

cheers,
Alex