[MPlayer-users] Conversion from avi to mpeg2 summary

John Dickinson john.k.dickinson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:58:56 CEST 2005

I have been working on converting an avi file from a digital camera to
mpeg2 (playable by windows media player and others(final target an
SVCD)) for the last week and have had help from several people on
these lists as well as requests to post the final command line so here
it is:

mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=25:vrc_minrate=600:vbitrate=2500 -oac
lavc -af lavcresample=44100 -srate 44100 -mpegopts format=mpeg2 in.avi
-o test.mpg

The real trick seemed to be in getting the sound right.

Without your help it wouldn't have happened. Even though I constantly
refered to the manpages I lacked the technical background for
"muxing", resampling, etc. or sufficient knowledge about my taget
format and its limitations to know what the error messages meant or
why things wouldn't work.

Thanks to all who helped again.
John