[MPlayer-users] Conversion from avi to mpeg2 summary

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Mon Jun 27 16:44:05 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 03:09:12PM +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
> >Here's what I plan to commit to faq.xml [sure, it's not in the form of
> >a patch, but who cares since I'll be the one who'll commit it :-) ]
> >
> >Please comment on it if needed.
> >
> ><qandaentry>
> ><question><para>
> >How can I create SVCDs?
> ></para></question>
> ><answer><para>
> >Newer version of MEncoder can directly generate MPEG-2 files that can be
> >used to create a SVCD and are likely to be played out of the box on all
> >platforms (for example to share a video from a digital camcorder with
> >your computer illiterate friends).
> ><screen>
> >mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
> >vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=25:vrc_minrate=600:vbitrate=2500
> >

> :vrc_buf_size=917
>
> >-oac \
> >lavc -af lavcresample=44100 -srate 44100 -mpegopts format=mpeg2 \
> >

> format=xsvcd.
> In order to make the gop structure svcd compliant the keyint should be
> 15 for pal and 18 for ntsc, although very often much longer gops play
> correctly
> (I always used 25 without problems).
> Please, mention also that the resulting file
> - is an extended svcd (that's why it's called xsvcd), mainly because it
> doesn't
> contain scan offsets
> - it should be passed to vcdimager to generate the svcd image

There should be a mention that PAL requires -ofps 25 and NTSC -ofps 30000/1001.
It it also necessary very often -vf harddup.

There is no mention about the fact that the audio should be mp2:
-oac toolame -toolameopts br=224
or
-oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224

Question. Is -af lavcresample=44100 necessary? My experience shows that just -srate 44100
is enough (althouth I always use it with -af-adv force=1).

Giacomo