[MPlayer-users] can anyone play the Oblivion trailer?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 30 23:55:21 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:19:01PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Hans Stark!
>
>  On 2005.06.30 at 17:56:16 +0200, Hans Stark wrote next:
>
> > Thanks, that worked !!!
> > I didn't expect to have not enough video ram for playing a mere video.
> > I have an 128 MB radeon 9800 pro with fglrx, too.
>
> It's a good card with enough video ram. But with crappy drivers. flgrx
> drivers has problems with -vo xv on high resolutions. Also, they have
> problems on low resolutions, the image is pixilated - at least for some
> videos. Looks like it incorrectly uses card resources.
>
> The real solution is to use -vo xvidix. You'll be able to play videos in
> any resolution and without any bad effects (but there are drawbacks -
> you'll have to use suid root mplayer, 'alias mplayer="sudo mplayer"'
> solution that I use works too). Also it can be a bit faster than xv (and
> much faster than x11).

DO NOT DO THIS!! Properly install svgalibhelper or dhahelper and set
appropriate permissions. suid root mplayer is EXACTLY THE SAME as
suid-root shell: it means everyone (including the cracker who breaks
into some shitty useless running-as-uid-nobody service you happen to
have enabled) is root.

Rich