[MPlayer-users] Slow DVD video playback, other videos play fine

Julius Schwartzenberg julius at zgod.cjb.net
Wed Mar 2 22:08:35 CET 2005

I've got a question about DVD video playback with MPlayer.
My current MPlayer installation plays most files, such as MPEG4 encodes
without any problems. DVD videos play really slow though.
Is it normal that DVD videos require much more CPU than an MPEG4 encoded
movie for example? I thought that most DVD movies were encoded in MPEG2
and that MPEG2 required less CPU than MPEG4 to be decoded.
Am I doing something wrong or does DVD video playback require much more
CPU somehow?
Thanks in advance,
Julius