[MPlayer-users] Re: How to dub a video with mencoder?

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri Mar 4 14:39:03 CET 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:33:16PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Giacomo Comes wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:56:07PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> >>No, that just makes the problem worse. -mc 0 is implied anyway by
> >>-nosound. You really have to encode some sound in order for mencoder
> >>to work right. If you hate this, just resample to 8000 hz 8bit mono
> >>pcm and it hardly uses any space or cpu time.
> >>

> >The needs to encode some sound in order for mencoder to work right
> >does apply only to avi or also to mpeg?
> >

> it's the same: the sync code is in mencoder.c
>
> >Because resample to 8000 hz 8bit mono pcm does not work if you are
> >creating an mpeg (-of mpeg).
> >

> both toolame and lavc want 16 bit samples, not 8, and the sampling
> rates admitted in  mp2 (maybe even mp3)  are 32/44.1/48 khz IIRC

mp2 can be also 16000/22050/24000
mp3 16000/22050/24000 + 8000/11025/12000

> >I imagine that if I have to encode some
> >audio in the mpeg, I should use a low freq mp2, isn't it?
> >

> muxer_mpeg  can store mp2, mp3 and ac3, so as long as the sound you send
> it is not damaged or incorrect you will hear it

I think the point was the need to encode only the video and mux later the audio stream.
Just 'mencoder -noaudio' doesn't work because of the A/V sync. So I need to encode
some audio that will be anyway discarded later.
8000 hz 8bit mono pcm doesn't require much cpu, but cannot be used with mpeg.
I will check different sample rate/bit rate/codec for the the combination
that needs less cpu resource.

Giacomo